Dr. Enrique Fernández
||Dr. Enrique Fernández is a Research Scientist of the Spanish Research Council (CSIC), currently working at the Instituto de Recursos Naturales y Agrobiología of Seville (IRNAS). He has a PhD in Agronomy from the University of Cordoba (1989). He has published ca. 40 SCI journals and 11 book chapters. Dr. Fernandez is the Chair of the ISHS Working Group on Sap Flow. He is in the editorial board of Plant & Soil and Agricultural Water Management.|
His main fields of research
Crop physiology related to water stress
The CRP, an automatic irrigation controller for fruit tree orchards based on sap flow measurements (July 2005).A device for measuring the xylem hydraulic conductivity of woody plants (August 2005).
Fernández JE, Moreno F, Murillo JM, Cayuela JA, Fernández-Boy E, Cabrera F (1996) Water use and yield of maize with two levels of nitrogen fertilization in SW Spain. Agricultural Water Management 29, 215-233.
- Moreno F, Fernández JE, Clothier BE, Green SR (1996) Transpiration and root uptake by olive trees. Plant and Soil 184, 85-96.
- Moreno F, Cayuela JA, Fernández JE, Fernández-Boy E, Murillo JM, Cabrera F (1996) Water balance and nitrate leaching in an irrigated maize crop in SW Spain. Agricultural Water Management 32, 71-83.
- Moreno F, Pelegrín F, Fernández JE, Murillo JM (1997) Soil physical properties, water depletion and crop development under traditional and conservation tillage in southern Spain. Soil and Tillage Research 41, 25-42.
- Fernández JE, Moreno F, Girón IF, Blázquez OM (1997) Stomatal control of water use in olive tree leaves. Plant and Soil 190, 179-192.
- Fernández JE, Murillo JM, Moreno F, Cabrera F, Fernández-Boy E (1998) Reducing fertilization for maize in southwest Spain. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis 29, 2829-2840.
- Murillo JM, Moreno F, Pelegrín F, Fernández JE (1998) Responses of sunflower to traditional and conservation tillage under rainfed conditions in southern Spain. Soil and Tillage Research 49, 233-241.
- Moreno F, Cabrera F, Fernández-Boy E, Girón IF, Fernández JE, Bellido B (2001) Irrigation with saline water in the reclaimed marsh soils of south-west Spain: impact on soil properties and cotton and sugar beet crops. Agricultural Water Management 48, 133-150.
- Fernández JE, Palomo MJ, Díaz-Espejo A, Clothier BE, Green SR, Girón IF, Moreno F (2001) Heat-Pulse measurements of sap flow in olives for automating irrigation: tests, root flow and diagnostics of water stress. Agricultural Water Management 51, 99-123.
- Fernández JE, Moreno F, Murillo JM, Cuevas MV, Kohler F (2001) Evaluating the effectiveness of a hydrophobic polymer for conserving water and reducing weed infection in a sandy loam soil. Agricultural Water Management 51, 29-51.
- Palomo MJ, Moreno F, Fernández JE, Díaz-Espejo A, Girón IF (2002) Determining water consumption in olive orchards using the water balance approach. Agricultural Water Management 55, 15-35.
- Fernández JE, Slawinski C, Moreno F, Walczak RT, Vanclooster M (2002) Simulating the fate of water in a soil-crop system of a semi-arid Mediterranean area with the WAVE2.1 and the EURO-ACCESS-II models. Agricultural Water Management 56, 113-129.
- Robinson B, Fernández JE, Madejón P, Marañón T, Murillo JM, Green S, Clothier B (2003) Phytoextraction: an assessment of biogeochemical and economic viability. Plant and Soil 249, 117-125.
- Fernández JE, Palomo MJ, Díaz-Espejo A, Girón IF (2003) Influence of partial soil wetting on water relation parameters of the olive tree. Agronomie 23, 545-552.
- Fernández JE, Durán PJ, Palomo MJ, Díaz-Espejo A, Chamorro V, Girón IF (2006) Calibration of sap flow estimated by the compensation heat-pulse method in olive, plum and orange trees: relations with xylem anatomy. Tree Physiology 26, 719-728.
- Fernández JE, Díaz-Espejo A, Infante JM, Durán P, Palomo MJ, Chamorro V, Girón IF, Villagarcía L (2006) Water relations and gas exchange in olive trees under regulated deficit irrigation and partial rootzone drying.
Plant and Soil 284, 273-291.
- Díaz-Espejo A, Walcroft A, Fernández JE, Hafidi B, Palomo MJ, Girón IF (2006) Modelling photosynthesis in olive leaves under drought conditions.Tree Physiology 26, 1445-1456.
- Verhoef A, Knight JR, Villagarcía L, Fernández JE, Díaz-Espejo A (2006) Adsorption of water vapor by bare soil in an olive grove in Southern Spain. Journal of Hydrometeorology 7, 1011-1027.
- Morales-Sillero A, Fernández JE, Beltrán G, Jiménez R, Troncoso A (2007) Influence of fertigation in 'Manzanilla de Sevilla' olive oil quality. HortScience 42, 1157-1162.
- Díaz-Espejo A, Nicolás E, Fernández JE (2007) Seasonal evolution of diffusional limitations and photosynthetic capacity in olive under drought. Plant, Cell and Environment 30, 922-933.
- Cuevas MV, Cox L, Hermosín MC, Calderón MJ, Fernández JE (2008) Chloridazon and lenacil dissipation in a clayey soil of the Guadalquivir river marshes (southwest Spain). Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 124, 245-251.
- Fernández JE, Díaz-Espejo A, D’Andria R, Sebastiani L, Tognetti R (2008) Potential and limitations of improving olive orchard design and management through modeling. Plant Biosystems 142, 130-137.
- Fernández JE, Green SR, Caspari HW, Díaz-Espejo A, Cuevas MV (2008) The use of sap flow measurements for scheduling irrigation in olive, apple and Asian pear trees and in grapevines. Plant and Soil 305, 91-104.
- Fernández JE, Romero R, Montaño JC, Díaz-Espejo A, Muriel JL, Cuevas MV, Moreno F, Girón IF, Palomo MJ (2008) Design and testing of an automatic irrigation controller for fruit tree orchards, based on sap flow measurements. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 59, 589-598.
- Morales-Sillero A, Fernández JE, Ordovás J, Suárez MP, Pérez JA, Liñán J, López EP, Girón IF, Troncoso A (2009) Plant-soil interactions in a fertigated ‘Manzanilla de Sevilla’ olive orchard. Plant and Soil 319, 147-162.
- Fernández JE, Cuevas MV (2010) Irrigation scheduling from stem diameter variations: a review. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 150, 135-151.
postal adress: Instituto de Recursos Naturales y Agrobiología de Sevilla
Avenida Reina Mercedes, n.º 10
phone: +34 954 62 47 11 (ext. 173)